Sunday, May 16, 2010

Remembering Frazetta



On the 10th May the legend that was Frank Frazetta passed away. Simon has already paid tribute to the man with his post yesterday and today we received this from guest contributor Dominic Regan.

I couldn't believe it. How could Frank Frazetta be dead? I didn't want to believe that a man who could produce work that seemed to pulse with such vitality could now be gone. The world would be a much darker place without him if he hadn't left behind such an incredible body of work.

Frazetta could capture such life on the canvas. It may seem funny to describe his brutal renditions of carnage and mayhem as being somehow life-affirming but to the teenage me, his artwork produced something almost undefinable, something close to joy. As for how Frazetta could paint women, well, that was a different set of feelings!

Frazetta also stirred a mixture of envy and ambition in me. There was no way I could ever produce something as amazing as his paintings but his work always inspired me to keep trying, to keep fighting to get images out of my imagination and, hopefully to give to people the same sort of feeling that Frazetta managed to inspire in me.

Frank Frazetta, thank you for everything. My thoughts are with your family. We will all miss you.

1 comment: